Dr. Hayal KÖKSAL
the Director General of Turkey within the World Council for Total Quality and Excellence in Education (WCTQEE)
Hayal Köksal is an academician, (teacher trainer), researcher, author, and the expert of “quality”, peace mentor and project & curriculum designer. She taught actively for 41 years. In addition to her academic studies, she is the Founding president of Association for Innovative Collaboration (YİMEDER), and also the Director General of Turkey within the World Council for Total Quality and Excellence in Education (WCTQEE) founded by the quality experts of 25 countries in City Montessori School, Lucknow, India.
She gave pedagogic formation and newly-designed teacher training courses at the Faculty of Education, Boğaziçi University between 1997 and 2017.
She worked as an advisor for the localization of the “Innovative Teachers Program” of Microsoft Turkey for five years and as a result, she designed an International ICT Project (ICT Seagulls), which has been going on since 2005.
Her study and research focuses on; “Training innovative teachers and qualified new generations within a dignified and peaceful world & establishing quality philosophy in schools”. She believes in the necessity of collaboration (İmece), liberty, equality and nonviolence for a happy and productive world.
Her new non-governmental, non-profit organization was re-founded on 15 January 2015 with the name of; “Association for Innovative Collaboration (YİMEDER)”.
Her slogan is; “Lifelong learning; from theory to practice…”
Dr.Hayal Köksal was born in Balıkesir, Turkey in 1956. She graduated from Izmir Teachers’ Training College in 1976 and Educational Faculty of Marmara University in 1985. She had her MA in English Language Teaching (ELT) at Gaziantep University in 1992 and her Ph.D. in “Educational Sciences” in 1997. Dr. Köksal has been dealing with Total Quality in Education since 1992, and between 2000 and 2013, she co-founded the Turkish and Eurasian Center for Schools of Quality with John Jay Bonstingl, the worldwide known US Quality expert. She has been the Director General of Turkey within the World Council for Total Quality and excellence in Education (WCTQEE) since 2003. She is also interested in peace and non-violence issues. Since 2005, she has been the Education Team and Global Advisory Board members of the Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies.
After her retirement from Marmara University in 1999, she has been continuing lecturing at various outstanding Turkish Universities as a freelance INSTRUCTOR on the way of publicizing quality-oriented, project-based, innovative education and working as a QUALITY & PEACE CONSULTANT, RESEARCHER and BOOK WRITER now. She has already had 16 books. Some of them are listed below:
- Truth about Total Quality in Education, Istanbul, Academy Publishing, 2003.
- Power of Unity in Education through İmece Circles, Istanbul Academy Publishing, 2004.
- A Bunch of In-Class Activities (Based on the Constructivist Philosophy in Education), Istanbul Marduk Publishing, 2006),
- Me: Life-long Learner (Along with the child within), Istanbul Prism Printing House, 2007.
- 11th International Convention Book on Students’ İmece Circles (SQCs), Istanbul CB Print house, 2009. (Sponsored by UNESCO Turkey)
- Removing Barriers through Empathy (A Book about the disabled), Istanbul, Turkey, Positive Printing House, 2010. (Sponsored by Oki Printing Solutions)
- Catching Our Kinds Young/Çekirdekten Yetiştirme, Published by Dignity Press, USA, 2014 (Supported by World Dignity University)
- Redesigning Village Institutions through Collaboration (=İmece), Detay Printing House, Ankara, 2016.
She was the advisor and the localizer of the “Innovative Teachers” project of Microsoft Turkey. She prepared all the documents including an e-book, trained trainers and almost Innovative 200 innovative teachers and coaches between the years of 2004 and 2009.
She devoted her life improving İmece Circles methodology focusing; critical thinking and problem solving skills as a team. Her project ICT Seagulls Project was the practical face of that philosophy. She conducted nearly 4,000 circles and 352 ICT Seagulls Projects including not only Turkish schools but also schools from India, USA, UK, Nepal, Sri Lanka and South Africa.
Dr.Köksal believes in the power of civic studies, therefore she took part in many NGO studies:
*She is a member of Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD),
*English Language Education Association/İNGED (“Founder of Quality in ELT” Special Interest group),
*Democratic Principles Association (Board member),
*The New Generation Village Institutions Society (YKKED)(One of the founders and board members of Istanbul branch),
*Association for Continuous Improvement (SÜGEDER) (The founding President for seven years),
*Association for Curriculum Development (EPÖDER),
*Association for Researching Village Institutions and Developing Education (KAGEV),
*Association for Innovative Collaboration (YİMEDER) (Founding President).
Because of her intensive studies, Dr.Köksal got many Awards:
* She owns the “Honorary Medal of the Ministry of Tourism” due to her leadership to students for Archeological projects like Assos and Zeugma.
* She is the owner of “Business-Education Partnership Award” of the Center for Schools of Quality together with Microsoft Turkey. Dr.Köksal is the Turkey representative of the Center for Schools of Quality of USA.
* She is the Turkish National Youth Development Trustee (NYDT) of South Africa.
* She won an award from the World Bank 2005 Turkey Innovative Marketplace competition through her “İmece Circles Project” in May 2005.
* On 4 December 2005, she was awarded as the “World Quality Leader” by WCTQEE.
* In 2008, she got “Helen Keller Award” in Mauritius due to her studies with the challenged people.
* In 2008, she was the convener of the 11. ICSQCC in Istanbul.
* In 2010, she was the convener of the 15. Annual Conference of Human dignity and Humiliation Studies Network in Istanbul.
* In 2015 she got “PC Bihari Excellence Award” in India.
Dr.Köksal, in her 40th professional year, is still giving some elective and compulsory courses at the Faculty of Education, Boğaziçi University. They are; “Classroom Management”, “School Experience”, “Introduction to Teaching Profession”, “Nonviolence in Education”, “Conflict Resolution”, “Innovative Teaching” and Quality in ELT”.
She also gave; “Personal Quality and Leadership” course to engineering Students at Marmara, Yıldız Technical and Istanbul Kültür Universities, “Human resources Management in Educational Administration” at the MBA Program of Bahçeşehir University, and “Quality in Training” to teacher trainees at Yeditepe University.
She has been still acting as a teacher-trainer and counsellor for schools, companies, local governors and NGO leaders.
She is married with one daughter, who is a fellow of British, Institute of Actuaries. She also has a grandson.